I often post pictures on Instagram/Facebook and Twitter and I’m sometimes asked about recipes so I thought I’d start sharing on the blog however simple they may be!
Below is my simple Cheesy Greens Pasta recipe which is perfect for baby led weaning.
The natural flavours of the ingredients really come through in this and we happily eat the same (ours is spiked with salt too though!).
Plate can be purchased Here (available in three different colours).
Age: 9 months plus (once your baby is eating solids)
Makes: 2-3 portions
Time taken: 20 minutes
– 1 clove garlic
– half an onion
– 50g baby spinach
– 1 courgette
– a quarter broccoli head
– half a tea spoon of mixed herbs
– 100g whole wheat fusilli pasta (I use this as it’s easier for Arjun to pick up than the mini pasta shells)
– 15g butter
– 15g plain flour
– 300ml full fat milk
– 40g grated cheese (I use cheddar)
1. Roughly chop the courgette and broccoli.
2. Steam and blend the spinach, courgette and broccoli – I do this to get a saucy consistency. I use the Philips Avent Combined Baby Food Steamer and Blender to do this.
3. Place the pasta in boiling water with a dash of oil. Let it cook for 10 minutes.
4. Grind the garlic and onion using a blender. Shallow fry till slightly browned.
5. Melt the butter in a separate saucepan.
6. Stir in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes.
7. Take the pan off the heat and gradually stir in the milk to get a smooth sauce. Return to the heat and bring to the boil continually stirring using a whisk.
8. Simmer gently for 5-6 minutes and season with mixed herbs.
9. Stir in the cheese and allow to melt mixing well.
10. Add in the blended greens from step 2.
11. Stir in to the drained pasta and mix well for a few minutes and you’re done!
Serving suggestions: garlic bread and salad
You can also make a larger batch of the greens purée/cheese sauce and keep in the freezer and store for up to 6 months so it’s quicker to make.
I’ll definitely be doing this when returning to work when I know I’ll be working with a super tight schedule between collecting Arjun from nursery and getting dinner on before bath bottle and bed!
Hope your babies enjoy x
For more information about our vegetarian weaning journey, click here.
Disclaimer: as when trying any new foods with your baby that you may be unsure about, please check with your health visitor first.