I’ve had lots of requests for the recipe for the Eggless Spinach, Broccoli, Pepper and Cheese Muffins I made last week so here it is!
I was originally inspired to try muffins for Arjun by Habiba over at Eat, Write, Be. I decided to adapt the recipe to make it eggless and also added extra vegetables.
Plate can be purchased Here (available in three different colours).
Age: 9 months plus (once your baby is eating solids)
Makes: 15 mini muffins
Time taken: 30 minutes
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1tsp butter
- 175g plain flour
- 1¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- 125g cheddar cheese, grated
- 100ml full fat milk
- 2 tbsp plain natural yoghurt
- 2 cubes spinach and broccoli purée (approx 4 tbsp)
- 1/2 red pepper
- Handful chopped spinach
- Black pepper to taste
1) Heat butter in pan and shallow fry onions and peppers until soft. Add in the spinach and broccoli purée and cook for a few minutes and then leave mix to one side.
2) Pour the milk and yoghurt into a bowl and whisk to combine.
3) In a another bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, red chilli powder, black pepper, chopped spinach and cheese.
4) Pour in the milk and yoghurt mixture and whisk together until you get a thick doughy mixture.
5) Pour the mix into your mini muffin tray and bake for approximately 20 mins at 180.
Serving suggestion: three bean and sweetcorn salad, baked beans and guacamole.
Arjun enjoyed his dinner at his teddy bear picnic in the garden.
As you end up making a batch of about 15 with the above recipe, as suggested by Habiba, I decided to freeze the batter as opposed to the muffins. I cooked 6 – enough for Arjun’s dinner and lunch the following day and froze the rest in an Annabel Karmel by NUK Food Cube Tray so it’s easy to defrost as and when I need to.
For more information about our vegetarian weaning journey, click here.
Disclaimer: as when trying any new foods with your baby that you may be unsure about, please check with your health visitor first.