I’m super excited to be collaborating with Quorn to recreate their spaghetti bolognese recipe. The original can be found here.
My version is a lower carb one and is also alcohol free. Courgetti bolognese is a treat meal in our house and always goes down well with garlic bread on a cold winters evening and equally well during summer with a colourful garden salad! Arjun also loves it, though he does tend to pick out the Quorn over the courgetti!
Being vegetarian and being married to a gym fanatic that requires (or demands!) a certain protein intake, we love Quorn in our house! It’s low in carbs and fat and is rich in protein.
Coming in such a wide range of products, we find it really easy to get some added protein in our meals. I introduced Quorn in to Arjun’s diet at around 10 months and it has really helped me ensure he’s getting enough protein. Arjun is a super huge fan of their cocktail sausages; I love their sausages and Turkey and sage sandwich fillers; and Preetam loves their chicken style pieces and mince.
For the below recipe, I’ve used mince from the Quorn range.
Here’s my recreation of Spaghetti Bolognese:
Time taken: 35 minutes
- 1 x tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 x tbsp tomato puree
- 1 x vegetarian stock cube
- A generous handful of fresh basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red chilli
- 1.5 tsp tamarind
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp of hot sauce (I used Encona)
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 60g cheddar Cheese
- 5 x cloves crushed garlic
- 1 x large onion
- 1 x celery stalk
- 1 x carrot
- 1 x red pepper
- 130g mushrooms
- 2 x courgettes
- Add two tablespoons of olive oil in to a large pan on medium heat. Add in crushed garlic and shallow fry.
- Using a food processor, blitz the onion, carrot, celery, pepper and mushrooms to a fine chopped consistency. You could alternatively dice them however I always choose the quicker method! Leave on low heat to cook.
- Blitz the tinned tomatoes and heat in a separate pan. Add in the tomato purée and leave to simmer for a few minutes. Then add salt, red chilli, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, chilli sauce, soy sauce, oregano, thyme, roughly chopped basil, the cheese and the stock cube and allow to cook for 10 minutes until the sauce thickens on a low to medium heat.
- Add in the Quorn mince to the first pan with the vegetables and mix well.
- Once the sauce is ready, mix in to the vegetables and allow to cook for 10-15 minutes on low heat.
7. Serve with a layer of the bolognese and season with Parmesan cheese.