Christmas is one of my favourite times of year but boy oh boy do I feel sluggish after. It’s pretty common for a lot of us to start the new year on some sort of a health kick (let’s see how long mine lasts!). I dislike the idea of purely eating salads and cold foods during the cooler months – I’ve always been someone that needs to have a hearty meal to feel satisfied!
I decided to share one of my healthy(ish) recipes of deep dish vegetarian lasagne in collaboration with Asda. I decided to try and make a healthy meal on a budget (still on mat pay and wiped out after Christmas!) to feed the whole family (plus an extra 3!). I opted for all ASDA own brand products where possible as I wanted to see whether there’d be a difference in taste. I sourced all the ingredients for this recipe listed below, plus the sides from Asda in Hayes. I love Asda for their fresh quality produce as well as their kid’s clothing!
Preetam is a gym fanatic and needs his daily dose of protein – this meal also ticks that box as it’s primary ingredient is veggie mince.
Ended up being enough for about 6-8 people! Under £30 is an absolute bargain.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves: 6-8 people
- 700ml milk
- 50g butter
- 150g medium cheddar cheese
- 7 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 packets Asda veggie mince (1kg in total)
- 5 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 x 735g jars Asda garlic and tomato pasta sauce
- 1 x 500g Asda chilli and garlic pasta bake sauce jar
- 1 x diced red pepper
- 1.5 teaspoon red chilli powder (add more if you like spice)
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 250g sliced mushrooms
- 1 large diced onion
- 1 x 250g tub mixed beans
- 1 x packet of Asda’s fresh lasagne sheets (you can use any)
- 2 x sliced tomatoes
- 30g of cheddar cheese to sprinkle at the end
1. Dice the onions, mushrooms and pepper
6. Stir in the beans mixing well.
7. In a separate pan, heat the milk on medium heat and add in the flour and butter and whisk fast. As the butter melts and the flour begins to disappear as the mixture comes to the boil, it will begin to thicken.
8. Once the sauce bubbles, add in the cheese, mustard powder and oregano and mix until the cheese melts.
9. Next spoon in a layer of the veggie mince mixture in to a large rectangle Pyrex dish, cover with a layer of lasagne sheets and cover with a layer of the cheese sauce.
10. Repeat step 9 again, once done, place a layer of tomatoes and sprinkle with the remaining cheddar cheese.
11. Place in the oven at 140c for 30-40 minutes. We use a low heat so the lasagne sheets cook through.
Serve with a creamy coleslaw salad (Asda’s ready chopped lettuce and mixed leaves, spring onions, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, carrot, red onion, sweet corn, coleslaw and croutons) and garlic baguette and potato wedges for a hearty meal!
Using Asda’s own branded products, I was able to produce this meal to feed 6-8 people for just under £30! An absolute bargain for a wholesome and hearty healthy meal! And it tasted just as good as branded products.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post in the form of remuneration or in exchange for a product or service. However all views expressed above are my own.