The other day we returned back to Westfield for the first time since I took Arjun alone back in February – what a whirlwind of emotions it brought back. Being there, though not alone with him this time, brought back so many memories. I’ve come a long way but my fears then have been replaced by new ones!
I enjoyed being with him there this time a lot more as I watched him run around aimlessly – following the nearest person he could see and diverting at the speed of lightening when he saw another!
I was able to enjoy it so much because Preetam was with me. Had he not been I would’ve been pretty stressed managing things alone especially with my extra long shopping list (mainly for Arjun’s bits and bobs … Honest!).
Here are a few reflections on our trip compared to my last trip with Arjun and whether I’d be able to do it alone again:
1) We went to the food court again but I knew it was ok to do so as there were two of us to manage Arjun. Not sure how that would’ve worked had it been me alone. How would I have held the tray of food back to our table, managed a little toddler who is faster than the speed of lightning and manage our bags and buggy?! Ok the buggy could house the bags but that wouldn’t have really helped! I’d still have the food to deal with and a mobile toddler.
2) How on earth could I shop?! Even with reigns on, he’s trying to leg it! I was able to enjoy shopping as Preetam was with us and he managed Arjun. I’d still have the shopping bags issue had I been alone. How do you manage all the shopping bags as well as a toddler?! I can imagine I’d end up having a few ditzy moments!
3) Reflecting on my last experience alone, nappy changing seemed like a huge deal. It wouldn’t be now. He goes less frequently and it wouldn’t be such a huge deal compared to dealing with other things. My energy is more likely to be used up on chasing him, a nappy change would probably be a welcomed break now!
4) I’d definitely feel a little more confident in terms of not worrying about him having a crying episode there. He didn’t cry at all during this trip. He was really happy and excited seeing so many people, lots of new surroundings and being able to move himself. With his new found independence has come reduced tears which has instilled me with a little more confidence.
5) We can enjoy the same food which means I wouldn’t have to worry about pre packing food – I LOVE this! Arjun had a mini square pie (spinach sweet potato and goats cheese) mash and beans while we enjoyed the adult version. I really love that other than a few snacks, I don’t really need to pack much in terms of meals when out as I can easily pick something up.
I probably wouldn’t feel brave enough to go to Westfield alone with Arjun if I had a huge shopping list but I’d definitely feel comfortable going if I had a quick trip planned. One where I didn’t require a buggy or end up with a gazillion shopping bags!
I may set myself the challenge when I feel brave enough to take on Westfield alone again. Even if it is just for a quick trip. It’ll be interesting to say the least!
Do you have any tips for shopping with a toddler? x